Why Should I Use a Professional to Maintain My Pool?
A backyard swimming pool is the ultimate in relaxation. A true staycation destination. A place to unwind
alone or catch up with good friends. A sanctuary and an oasis.
But let’s face it: Swimming pools are also a lot of work. And for many pool owners – particularly new
pool owners – the day-to-day demands of pool maintenance can be downright stressful. The good news is,
you don’t have to be a swimming pool pro to enjoy the fun and relaxation that comes with owning a
A pool professional can give you peace of mind and take care of your pool-related maintenance needs:
- Weekly pool maintenance. A pool professional can take care of the everyday tasks
required to keep your pool sparkling clean, cleaning skimmer baskets, backwashing and vacuuming.
- Pool chemistry. If you’re a little intimidated by the idea of testing and balancing
the water chemistry, a pool professional can set your mind at ease and take the guesswork out of
- Repairs. Not all swimming pool owners have the experience or tools needed to tackle
repairs. A professional can help you get the job done right. Common swimming pool repairs include
leak detection and repair, filter and pump repair and replacement, valve repairs, heater and motor
- Installation and upgrades. Whether you’re replacing worn-out equipment or upgrading
to new, energy-efficient models, a professional can help ensure that your new pool equipment is
- Pool resurfacing. There is an ever-increasing variety of resurfacing options
available in today’s marketplace. An experienced professional can help you choose a material that’s
right for your pool and your budget.
- Opening and closing. Whether you’re shutting your swimming pool down for the winter
or gearing up for another season of sun and fun, a professional can help ensure that your pool
remains clean, healthy, and protected.
- Vinyl liner replacement. An experienced pool professional can ensure that your new
linter is a perfect fit – and they can also help with repairs to extend your liner’s lifespan.
Tips for Finding the Right Pool Professional
Finding an experienced, qualified professional takes all of the stress and hard work out of pool
ownership, leaving you with more time to kick back, relax, and enjoy your pool. But how do you find the
professional that’s right for you? Here are a few tips to start your search:
- Ask friends and neighbors for recommendations – especially if you admire their swimming pools.
- Browse customer reviews and ratings. Do current and former clients highly recommend them? Do you see
a lot of low ratings or negative comments?
- Check with your local swimming pool retailer. Chances are, they’ll have a list of preferred pool
professionals in your area.
- Compare pricing and service plans. Do you have to sign a long-term contract? What pool cleaning
services are included? What services cost extra?
- Ask for references, certifications, and memberships. Before you make your final decision, ask
prospective pool care providers for a few references. You should also find out if the company is
part of any professional organizations or holds any certifications.
Don’t forget the spa!
If you have a hot tub, make sure that your pool professional is comfortable handling pool and spa
Finding a Pool Professional: FAQs
Q: Why should I hire a pool professional?
A: In addition to taking over the more tedious and time-consuming tasks associated with
pool maintenance, a professional pool care expert can ensure that some of the more difficult maintenance
tasks -- like testing and balancing water chemistry -- are done correctly. Pool professionals also know
how to spot potential problems and handle repairs.
Q: How much does a swimming pool service cost?
A: The price of professional swimming pool maintenance will vary, depending on several
factors such as where you live, the size of your pool, the condition of your pool, and more. We
recommend getting several estimates from local pool care companies.
Q: What kinds of jobs will my pool professional do?
A: Your pool professional will take care of routine cleaning and maintenance, from
skimming and vacuuming to testing and balancing your water to preparing your pool for winter. Talk to
your pool professional to learn more about the range of services offered.