Grilled Eggplant with Herbed Quinoa
- Cut the eggplants into 1 1/2'' rounds. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for 30 minutes to release water.
- Add quinoa to a pot with a pinch of salt and 3/4 cup water or stock. Bring it to a gentle boil, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, fluff with a fork, cover again and leave it to steam another 5 minutes.
- Heat up your grill or pan and press the eggplants between paper towels to absorb the excess moisture. Brush both sides with olive oil and grill for about 5 minutes per side until it darkens and the texture seems soft throughout.
- Move the eggplant to a plate, drizzle a bit more olive oil and sprinkle with za'atar to taste.
- Finish the quinoa, toss in the onions, all the herbs, oil, vinegar, honey or agave and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to mix. Taste and adjust as you like.
- Put the eggplants on a plate, top with the quinoa and garnish with the toasted pinenuts.
Summer’s First Backyard Barbecue: A Comprehensive Grilling Guide