There are some basic rules you can follow to prevent tragedy when pets are around the family pool. First,
your pet should always be taught where the steps in the pool are located, in case he falls in or gets in
trouble while swimming. Even pets that are experienced swimmers can sometimes panic if they accidentally
fall in the swimming pool. Pets that are too small to use steps
should not be allowed in the pool.
Here are some other helpful strategies for keeping your pet safe:
- A fence should be installed around the pool.
- Install a pet-safe ladder in the pool so your pet has easy exit access.
- Pets should not be allowed around the pool without
- Pool covers are NOT a form of protection. Covers can be
deceptive to pets, as they look like a solid surface but can give out and lead to a tragedy.
- Familiarize your pet with water at a young age; don’t assume he can swim.
- Consider purchasing a pool alarm
system. These float in the pool and go off when there is a disturbance in the water.
- Take your pet to the veterinarian immediately if a water injury occurs.