Blackened Fish Tacos
When you're planning for a pool party or backyard barbeque, you can't go wrong with hand-held options – but why stick with basic burgers? These flavorful tacos feature spicy blackened tilapia, perfectly balanced with crunchy cabbage slaw and cool, creamy avocado-cilantro sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine the paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, onion powder, cumin, salt, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper. Rub this mixture over both sides of the tilapia fillets.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a blender (or food processor). Pulse until smooth and well mixed.
- Combine all of the slaw ingredients in a large bowl and stir until well mixed.
- Heat the canola oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add tilapia filets (depending on the size of your pan, you may need to cook 2 or 3 at a time). Cook filets for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until the fish is blackened and flakes easily with a fork. Put the fish on a plate and set aside.
- Keep the pan on the heat and warm up the tortillas by cooking them for about 30 seconds per side.
- Use a fork to break the blackened tilapia into bite-sized pieces. Place fish on the tortillas, top with slaw and drizzle with avocado-cilantro sauce. Serve hot.